Wrap Up and Keynote with Dr. Stephen Wolfram
The geek in me so enjoyed this keynote :) Hard to really describe any of this stuff in notes…
- starting to be used in K-12 world more
- code is fairly simple and easy to learn
- people fear the rules that need to be learned for mathatica; they really aren’t that difficult
- high level language with minimal typing required
- now there is even a “plain english” ability (that will be interpreted into code and displayed)
- cdf – computable document format
- Interactive demonstrations to be used free: http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/
- smiley changer: http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/SmileyChanger/
- neat info stored in mathematic ie: shapes of countries in Europe
- looking at patterns
- Wolfram Alpha: http://www.wolframalpha.com/
- ask wolframalpha a question online!
- not just useful in math class!
- want to analyze the weather in boston? http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=weather+in+boston+vs+dc
- wolfram alpha course apps
- touchpress – making ipad ebooks: http://www.touchpress.com/
- Math != calculating!
- Think about: combinatorics of passwords; how do you label places on earth?
- What should one teach in the 21 century?